www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zip Drives and Virtual Acorn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:13 pm 

I had a RiscPC SA to which I had added a Zip 100 drive. Much of my Acorn stuff was backed-up to this drive. As you are aware, it was not necessary to format the zip discs to the Acorn format as they were readable in their (Mickeysoft) PC format.

Q: Can I add this drive to my Windows PC machine and access/recover the files from the Zip drive?

Regards
Hill

Post subject: Re: Zip Drives and Virtual Acorn
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had a RiscPC SA to which I had added a Zip 100 drive. Much of my Acorn stuff was backed-up to this drive. As you are aware, it was not necessary to format the zip discs to the Acorn format as they were readable in their (Mickeysoft) PC format.

Q: Can I add this drive to my Windows PC machine and access/recover the files from the Zip drive?

Connect the drive up to the PC (with the PC switched off) and see what
happens when the PC enters Windows. Does it find new hardware and ask for the ZIP disc drivers? If so install them and then set up a HostFS mount for VRPC-SE that points to the drive letter of the ZIP drive.

Note that you may lose the filetypes of files if they were not put in archives (zip/arc) when you wrote the ZIP disc on the Acorn machine.