www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Select Support
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:31 pm 

Aaron it seems ungracious to moan but !
I installed Select before the upgrades started coming out, and it was necessary to make one or two bodges to get it working, since then the problems in installing upgrades have continued. I have just looked at trying to instal the Power Saving upgrade, which I regard as a big advance. I am told that the screen upgrade must be installed first under RO4. It is not clear whether you mean under RO4 ROM image with Select Boot, or under RO4 ROM image with RO4 Boot. I try one, then the other, but neither gives me a working version of the screen upgrade, and there are other problems due to the bodges made earlier. I suspect that the only way out of the problems will be to uninstal VRPC, reinstal and do all the available upgrades under RO4 and then instal Select again.
This could still cause problems with future upgrades. When we get upgrades Pleae could we have a list of the files that are being added and replaced on the Riscos Side so that we could spot conflicts on our various systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry it's causing you problems.

The 8mb screen update should be installed after VRPC-SE has been
set to boot into RISC OS 4 (No softload).

Having installed this check it works (can you get 1024x768 in 16 million colours). If that's OK then quit VRPC-SE and install the power managment upgrade. Now follow the instructions in the RTF file on the Windows side to update yuor models file. Now re-load VRPC-SE. Check the power management works OK (Double click on !Boot to go to !Configure to turn the power managment on). Finally set up so that on the next re-start you are going to softload Select, re-start, go into SelectSupport in HardDisc4 and copy the bits you need into !Boot and finally go to Configure again and turn on powermanagment under Select.

The upgrades normally provide a list of updated files when they are run.

Post subject: Select Support
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:30 pm 

Hello Aaron
Thank you for that, but I found I could not get 16 million colours, so I set about uninstalling and reinstalling as I suggested.
The 8MB upgrade fails with a message that the VRPC-SE.exe is not recognised.
Any suggestions
John

Post subject: Re: Select Support
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hello Aaron
Thank you for that, but I found I could not get 16 million colours, so I set about uninstalling and reinstalling as I suggested.
The 8MB upgrade fails with a message that the VRPC-SE.exe is not recognised.
Any suggestions
John

Off the top of my head I don't know, give me a ring during office hours when you are in front of the machine and we can try and work out what's happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 am 

I get abort on data transfer &0226AB0C when I try to install either Select 4.29 or 4.33 using VirtualRPC-SE under Windows XP. Where are related issues discussed or archived, please?

I presume you:

Do have to run 'Access Unprotected' on the existing boot structure first
Do use InsSelect rather than installing each part manually
Don't do 'quit task', just use 'continue'

What else?

Thanks for any help.
Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Your assumptions look correct to me.

As for why you get an error message I simply don't know, I have installed Select on a number of VRPC-SE installations with no problems. Have you asked on the Select mailing list as maybe someone there knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:49 am 

Aaron wrote:
Your assumptions look correct to me.

As for why you get an error message I simply don't know, I have installed Select on a number of VRPC-SE installations with no problems. Have you asked on the Select mailing list as maybe someone there knows.

Thanks, I'll try there. Then maybe I'll try going back to a completely clean fresh install with no apps or changes.