www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: May update issue
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:07 pm 

I'm possibly jumping the gun here, since I found the May update on the downloads page without seeing an announcement first.

When I try to install it I have no luck, just
D:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-SE\VirtualRPC_SE.exe : Unknown version.

If the only requirement is that the 8MB upgrade needs to be there then I should be fine, since my copy came with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:30 am 
Site Admin

I hadn't "officially" announced it as I was still playing with it. I have now had a couple of e-mails saying that it installs OK, but need to get to the bottom of any potential problems before an official announcement.

On the other hand I have two saying it doesn't work :-( Can you ring during office hours when in front of the machine so we can have a quick fiddle and see why it won't install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Right I have uploaded a new version at 2:37pm on the 26th of May, this will hopefully work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:27 pm 

Installed with no trouble, and seems to have fixed all the gremlins I've noticed with VRPC, in the short time I've been running the patch.

Now listening to a non-crackly MP3 for the first time on VRPC, and posting this using Oregano1.

An excellent job, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:24 am 
Site Admin

I am stilll getting a number of reports that this upgrade still doesn't work which is very odd. So temporarily I have removed it till I find the source of the problem. If anyone wants to test a copy of it e-mail me (but remember its over 2Mb in size so only those on broadband need apply for now).

To SimonC, glad it's installed OK for you and it sounds like it has addressed the issues it was meant to, glad you are pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Right, I have been unable to see any reason (so far) why this shouldn't install so I have put it back up, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the old versions got cached somewhere, lets see...

Post subject: 'Unknown version' when upgrading
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:31 pm 

I think I have 'cracked' this one. When doing an upgrade, VA looks for a file Version.txt in HardDisc4\!Boot\Utils

This will not be found under the following circumstances:

1) If VA has been made to run purely off ADFS, and not HostFS.

2) If files have been copied from ADFS to HostFS, in which case the file will have been renamed Version,fff.

By the way, HostFS is much faster then ADFS, so if you require ADFS for some software it is better to boot off HostFS and store the basic system there, and use ADFS for storing programs and data.

In my case, renaming Version,fff to Version.txt allowed the upgrade to proceed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, that would do it, glad you found a fix as it had me confused.

Post subject: Re: 'Unknown version' when upgrading
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:07 pm 

In addition to the what "bengershon" has discovered, if you are using Select, as I am, the Version.txt file will be in OldBoot utils directory and requires moving to HardDisc4\!Boot\Utils

Regards,
Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:17 am 
Site Admin

That was something else that I had missed :( sorry. I will see if we can engineer a more elegant solution to the upgrades.