www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem installing on a dell latitude laptop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:30 pm 

I have just installed VA RPC-SE onto a new dell latitude D800. It is running Windows XP Professional and is up to date on downloads from MS. It has a nVidia GEforce 4200 GO graphics card running the screen at 1680x1050. It uses McAfee Internet Security suite 2004 v.6 (with firewall, virus, and spam killer all running). I have a MS Optical wheel mouse using v.4 of driver (having read issues re v.5 on forum)
As there is no built in floppy with the D800, the latitude is locked onto a dell dock (where floppy disc access is built in via the D/bay). It is not connected to a second/different monitor (i.e. laptop screen is used). Internet is wireless via a dell router.
Installing VA (riscos 4) was fine. Unlock key was accepted but when run, although VA started, I get whole screen 'toggle flashing' - with windows desktop and acorn pinboard fighting between themselves! - and an error message stating that I am trying to run VA in a non-standard screen size - I am told to re-set the computer to 1680x1050! On checking, this is what it is set to!
The only way to stop the flashing/fighting is to use ctrl+alt+del and get task manager to end programme (VA).
I tried uninstalling and re-installing with all the patches from the VA download website. Same problem.
I then tried reinstalling but without the network and internet patches (as I don't reall need these). Same problem.
I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling only the core programme - (to see at what stage the problem occurred). The problem occurred on running the first/core programme.
Are there any known compatiblity issues with dell latitudes (D range - as I know it works fine on a C latitude - albeit running windows 2000 pro - with same graphics card)? IF NOT
Are there any known compatiblity issues with certain software (McAfee; MS Office XP; photoshop elements/album are on the machine)
Any help you can offer would be gratefully accepted!

Post subject: Could it just be an MDF problem
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:45 pm 

Surely you just need to make up a new screen mode with MakeModes.

Or am I missing something?

Regards, Dave C.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:39 am 

Turns out, after an engineer ra the dell diagnostics suite, that this 3 week old laptop has:
1. fault disc drive
2. broken motherboard
3. corrupt memory chips
4. faulty dvd rw
Fortunately, when ordered the offer of the month included 3 years onsite NDB support so the engineer returns on monday to swop everything bar the case (equivalent to Trigger's broom in Only fools and horses!)
So hopefully the problem is dell's not VA RPC
Thanks to Aaron for his patient support leading up to this point.

Post subject: More dell problems
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:46 pm 

Well, dell changed the motherboard, the processor and the hard drive but the original problem continues. Basically VA thinks that the windows screen resolution is not correct (even though it is according to windows)! I've norrowed it down to either a major clash with the mcafee security centre 2004 version 6 suite (unlikely) or the fact that the dell laptop is one of their new widescreen machines and VA can't cope with this.
Has any one else had this problem with widescreens and their drivers?
If not, any ideas?

Post subject: Dell computer running VirtualRPC-SE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:29 pm 

I am running VIrtualRPC-SE on a Dell Inspiron 8600, XP Professional, NVIDIA GeForce Go5650 with a widescreen running at 1680 by 1050. It has none of the problems that you have experienced.
Regards

David