www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using PC Zip100 drive with VRPC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:55 am 

Apologies to Aaron. I'm a newbie to VRPC and I should have tried the forum before rattling off the email I've just sent him.
I've just installed VRPC on a PC fitted with an IDE ZIP100 drive and I would like to be able to read ZIP discs (both ADFS and PC format) from within RO. However, my attempts to create a new mount just give the error 'Path not found' If anyone's made this work I would be very grateful to have it spelled out words of one syllable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:32 am 
Site Admin

Step 1

Find the drive letter of the zip drive under Windows, for example it might be drive H

Step 2

Read the VirtualAcorn manual, especially the bit covering HostFS.

Step 3
Make a new HostFS mount that points to the drive letter (in the example above it would be H). So make a new HostFS mount with

A path of H:\.
And a Mount name of ZipDisc

Quit and re-load VRPC - now you will have an extra disc drive icon that will point to the Zip disc, note that using this method you can only read DOS formatted discs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:03 pm 

OK Thanks Aaron. In my defence, I *had* done all the things you suggest - including RTFM. What you and the manual both omit ('cos it's so blooming obvious once you know it) is that you need a PC formatted disc in the ZIP drive when you click on the drive icon. Otherwise, instead of a helpful "put a disc in the drive" message you get the slightly ambiguous "path not found" message.
Anyway, problem now solved. All we need now is a way to read ADFS formatted ZIP discs ;-)