www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Error: Line too long
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm 

Bit of a weird one this. Just been reading RiscWorld about using the ADFS drive to boot in VA rather than the normal HostFS. I'm quite happy with the 192mb, but just wanted to try it out. So I add a disc in using configure from !Boot and I get an IDEDisc4. I double click on !BootADFS and wait for it to copy over my boot etc. I then shutdown VRPC-SE from the RO4 Icon which returns me to Windows. I then go to boot VRPC-Se from the Start Menu and I get RISC OS 4.02 32MB under that is ARM710 Processor under that Acorn ADFS and instantly get the error messaage 'Error: Line too long (Error number &0)' It doesn't appear to even attempt to run any of the boot sequence. This all happens in an instant. Under the error is a * if I type Desktop I get a Desktop, but nothing has been booted. I can then open up IDEDisc4 and double click !BootHostFS to revert back. If I then shutdown, return to windows start VRPC-SE it will boot normally, with the odd quick flashes on screen you get as it runs through the boot sequence. It then works as expected. It's just booting from the ADFS drive it doesn't seem to like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Very strange, I've never seen this before. I assume the 192Mb partition is formated to use long filenames, if not that could be the problem.

Post subject: Error:Line too long
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:00 pm 

Don't know. The partition was already there. Is there an easy way to tell how it was formatted. If not I suppose I could create a new one in the way suggested in RiscWorld....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:25 am 
Site Admin

The standard ADFS partition is formatted for long file names. Since I have never seen this problem before I can only guess that it's caused by some change in the !Boot sequence, but heaven knows what.

Post subject: Error : Line too Long
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:33 pm 

I've fixed it........ Turned out to be a corrupt 'Syspaths' file in !System. It took some finding / tracking down believe me ! Fortunately I had a back up copy - so copied a clean one in. Strange though how it didn't seem to affect booting from HOSTFS (only ADFS). Anyway I've replaced / renewed the file in the original (HOSTFS) boot, so if I swap about between HOSTFS / ADFS, I don't keep copying the corrupt one across. Incidentally is there a way of intialising the ADFS partition so it doesn't copy the !Boot across everytime. Obviously when you first set it up, it needs copying across, but after that is there any reason I couldn't have two different !Boots ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

You need to copy !Boot across the first time, as there isn't one on the ADFS paritition. After that it doesn't matter if your 2 !Boot sequences are different. You will need to manually re-configure RISC OS to boot from ADFS/HOSTFS from the command line (F12)
To boot from HostFS press F12 and type:
Con. Filesystem Hostfs
Con. Drive 0
To boot from ADFS press F12 and type:
Con. Filesystem ADFS
Con. Drive 4
In both cases press return at the end of each line. Press return again
to go back to the desktop.