www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CD/DVD filetypes issue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:52 pm 

How can I ensure that the filetypes are correct? When installing from CD/DVD the files do not have the correct type. I can sometime change by hand, but I am sure something is wrong.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Admin

I'm afriad you haven't provided anywhere enough information for me to diagnose the problem. If you do have files with the wrong filetype, or indeed no filetype at all, you can use TypeFind in the Filing directory to ercover the file type in 99.99% of cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 am 

Hi, Aaron,
I though that I may have been a bit vague - it was getting late.
For example, after an install of Easywriter, clicking the icon results in showing the file as a text file - or indeed as if it was a shift-click.
I then examine the folder and the file type are a bit random. I used filetype to fix this - but this does not always work - in this case there is a buffer overflow error.
If copying files over from a dvd - the files seem to be DOS based - i.e. /html etc - I don;t know enough to say if this is connected.
Does this help or what can I do to give you more information?
Thanks,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

OK, now I have a bit more info. RISC OS 4.02 can't read DVDs, only CDs. Therefore I assume that you have a HostFS mount set to point to the DVD drive on the PC (e.g. Drive D).
If this is the case then filetypes will not be preserved unless RISC OS files are put into an image filing system (SparkFS, ArcFS, Zipee) first, before being written to the DVD.
RISC OS 4.39 supports reading of DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:34 pm 

That's spot on Aaron. Yes, I am using the Hostfs mount option. I wasn't aware that 4.02 behaved like this with DVDs (I run 4.39 on my real RiscPC).
I'll try the image part first, but sounds like an upgrade will be forthcoming.:roll:
Thanks again.