www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RISC OS 6
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:46 pm 

Having today got my (installed from scratch with as yet no additional software) version of VRPC-SE up and running with all the updates from the website (Do I need the select ones too, as I am not yet running select?)
I tried to update to select 4. On the updater trying to backup the boot sequence it failed on 'access violation 206' and then quit.
Am I doing anything wrong? Have I the correct fixes (all the VRPC-SE for RISC OS 4 but not select)?
Is this a VRPC thing or a RISC OS problem, and is there a fix/workaround?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:06 am 
Site Admin

You don't need the Select upgrades (I will rename that section of the site as they are really for Select3 - not Select4).
I have had 3 people with the same fault. I can't reproduce it here. I asked one customer to get all the updates from our website and try again. They didn't come back so I assumed this had resolved the problem. However since it seems you have all the updates that looks like it isn't the case.
In order to work out what's happening (or not) I need to know at what point in the install process the error happens - and what the status of the Boot sequence(s) are on the VirtualAcorn harddisc.
As a shot in the dark it might be worth (from Windows with VRPC not running). Navigating to:
C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-SE
Now right click on the HardDisc4 folder and click on Properties. Make sure that both "Read Only" and "Hidden" are NOT ticked. If they are then untick them and click on Apply then on OK. A message will pop up. Make suer you apply ther change to "...this folder, subfolder and files."
Let Windows finish doing this - fier up VRPC then try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:40 am 

In the meantime I'd found a workaround that has allowed installation. I copied the cd files onto HardDisc4 (using RISC OS) and it then installed (almost completely without problems -- it locked up on first reboot complaining about missing swi , but following a reset has been ok.)
I had a look at HardDisc4 properties. Read only was ticked. I unticked it and applied the changes (it said it would take 38 minutes but completed in less than one) but it continued to show a tick for read only. I am logged in as an administrator.
(Windows XP Pro, SP2, all updates in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Admin

That's really weird - it shouldn't matter where the installer is located as it only reads data. So even being on a read-only filing system such as CDFS shouldn't matter.
Still you have a method that works - if anyone else has the same problem I will suggest they copy the installer to the harddisc and run it from there to see what happens.