www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clock problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

I had a problem following accidental installation of SyncClock on my RiscPC. I have VirtualRPC-SAAdjust on a PC but it had no SyncClock in its !Boot. I am running RISC OS 6.10 which has RTCAdjust in ROM.

Does it need SyncClock as well? If so, where do I get it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Admin

A copy of SyncClock will be in your old (backed up) boot sequence as created by the RISC OS 6 installer.

I am somewhat facinated about someone accidentally copying SyncClock from a VirtualRPC !Boot to the !Boot on a "real" RiscPC. This would take several operations. Why was it copied over? Because it certainly wouldn't work and might well cause all sorts of problems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am 

[quote="Aaron"]A copy of SyncClock will be in your old (backed up) boot sequence as created by the RISC OS 6 installer. ...]

Regrettably this is not the case. You may recall that, following your advice, I transferred a previous VRPC installation complete from a laptop to a desktop PC. I did not use the installer.

I asked the questions because it appears from what SyncClock's author has written, here and in a newsgroup, that it might not be required if the module RTCAdjust is present; as it is in RISC OS 6 which I am using with your latest possible VRPC_SAAdjust. Can you please elucidate this?

The saga of the SyncClock module on a real RiscPC is recounted in newsgroup comp.sys.acorn.hardware in thread 'RiscPC Timekeeping' and 'RiscPC Timekeepin - Part 2'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 pm 

bric wrote:
Aaron wrote:
A copy of SyncClock will be in your old (backed up) boot sequence as created by the RISC OS 6 installer. ...]

Regrettably this is not the case. You may recall that, following your advice, I transferred a previous VRPC installation complete from a laptop to a desktop PC. I did not use the installer.

Soon after I wrote that I remembered I had kept a 'virgin' copy of the HardDisc4 image (ie, before any changes, additions, etc from within VRPC). So I have found the files that were missing. Sorry, for misleading you.

I still would like to know whether I actually need SyncClock which I see is at least 7 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

It depends. If your VirtualRPC is up to date with the new HostClock plugin (Jan 2009 HostFS Update) then you probably won't need SyncClock.