www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shutdown settings.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 pm 

I now have two copies of VRPC, one on a "conventional" laptop (referred to hereunder as "A") and one on a RISCBook Mini (referred to as "B").

When I shutdown the copy on A, it disappears the moment I click on the "Shutdown" icon, but when I shutdown on B I get the window with the "Restart" message, and then have to shrink this window and shut it down from Windows, and it seems to take Windows ages to do this. Is there any way I can change the behaviour of B to match that of A? I have, I promise, searched the VRPC manual and this forum, and have come up with nothing so far.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Peter.

Post subject: Re: Shutdown settings.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

When you come to shut down RISC OS you should be presented with a Shutdown Confirmation window. If this has an Off button then this will close RISC OS and also close the VirtualRPC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 pm 

Aaron wrote:
When you come to shut down RISC OS you should be presented with a Shutdown Confirmation window. If this has an Off button then this will close RISC OS and also close the VirtualRPC.

Thanks for this, and I hope you have had/are having an excellent holiday!

No, the little window in the mddie of the screen doesn't have such a button. I have to shrink the window (I use full screen as a default) and then use the close icon at the top roght of the big window, and this takes 45-60 seconds to work. What I'd really like to do is to have the whole thing disappear when I click on "shutdown" as happens on the other machine. I didn't set up either machine myself, and have no idea how it's done.

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

OK, what are the options in the "Shutdown Confirmation" window? Have you tried all of the options, assuming there are more than one?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 pm 

Aaron wrote:
OK, what are the options in the "Shutdown Confirmation" window? Have you tried all of the options, assuming there are more than one?

Thanks for this, and it's a niggle rather than a major problem, and I didn't intend it to interrupt your holiday!

What happens is:

Machine 1:

Shift-control-F12
Window: Are you sure you want to shut the computer down?

Two options: Shutdown or Cancel

Click on Shutdown: new window with "Restart".

Alt-Enter to shrink window.

Ten seconds of Windows hourglass,

Another ten seconds till I can click on close icon.
VRPC finally quits!

Machine 2:

Shift-control-F12

Window: Are you sure you want to shut the computer down?

2 options: Shutdown or Cancel

Click on shutdown: VRPC vanishes in less than a second.

Any idea why they behave differently?

TIA again,

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

You clould try installing the bits in the "SelectSupport" folder on the root of HostFS::HardDisc4 (I'm not near a VRPC so can't go into details) - but from memory some instructions are inside the folder. This may provide an "Off" button for the Shutdown Confirmation Window.

I presume that the machine that's going wrong is the R-Comp RISCBook Mini? If so have is this a "recent" purchase? If VRPC was pre-installed have you tried asking R-Comp?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:19 pm 

Aaron wrote:
You clould try installing the bits in the "SelectSupport" folder on the root of HostFS::HardDisc4 (I'm not near a VRPC so can't go into details) - but from memory some instructions are inside the folder. This may provide an "Off" button for the Shutdown Confirmation Window.

I presume that the machine that's going wrong is the R-Comp RISCBook Mini? If so have is this a "recent" purchase? If VRPC was pre-installed have you tried asking R-Comp?

Second point first: yes, it is a RISCBookmini (I quite take your point about this elsewhere, but it suits my circumstances and way of working), and was pre-installed and I did ask RComp, who were puzzled, and so I asked here.

First suggestion: I've updated the !Boot with the !VAShutdown bit, and had a bit of hair-tearing when it wouldn't work. It looks as if the location in which the installer puts !VAShutdown (!Boot.Choices.Default.Boot.Tasks) doesn't get run on startup by RISC OS 4.02, but when I added the app to Boot > Run it does now work, in that I get the shutdown confirmation window.

So the problem is solved, many thanks, but it still doesn't explain why the RISCBookmini behaves differently. I'm happy to leave that in the pigeon-hole marked "Things which I don't understand but which don't really matter". :-)

Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 pm 

Peter Young wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Second point first: yes, it is a RISCBookmini (I quite take your point about this elsewhere, but it suits my circumstances and way of working), and was pre-installed and I did ask RComp, who were puzzled, and so I asked here.

[snip]

Peter.

Sorry, I got that wrong; the RISCBookMini copy was the one that didn't misbehave. And now, following the HostFS upgrade (for which thanks) VRPC on the other machine is misbehaving again.

When I shut VRPC down, I get the window with the two options: Restart ROSC OS or Return to Windows. When I click on Return to Windows, I get a Message from VAShutdown saying "Bad command 12". I then have to shrink the VA window, and close it with the top-right close icon.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA,

With best wishes,

Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 pm 

Sorry, I haven't followed the whole thread, but here's a quick punt in the dark:
Does: Choices>Windows>Miscellaneous>Desktop Shutdown warning have any relevance?

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 pm 

adamr wrote:
Sorry, I haven't followed the whole thread, but here's a quick punt in the dark:
Does: Choices>Windows>Miscellaneous>Desktop Shutdown warning have any relevance?

Adam

Thanks; sounds as if it could be relevant. However, I can't find it! :-(

Any further guidance would be gratefully recieved.

Peter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

I am a bit confused by this one - however it sounds as though the VRPC install has got itself in a little bit of a mess. On a "modern" VirtualRPC you don't need the !VAShutDwn application.

As you are using RISC OS 4.02 then clicking on Shutdown in the Shutdown Confirmation window should close down RISC OS and then close the VirtualRPC. If this isn't happening then it's quite likely that some components haven't been upgraded using the upgrades on the main VirtualAcorn website - however it's difficult for me to go any further without a lot more info - so I suggest giving me a ring during ofice hours when you are in front of the computer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:15 am 

adamr wrote:

Adam

Found it now; I was looking for a pane marked "miscellaneous", and hadn't noticed the "Miscellaneous choices" setting. Unfortunately, unticking "Shutdown warnings" doesn't solve the problem. Thanks anyway.

Peter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 am 

Aaron wrote:
I am a bit confused by this one - however it sounds as though the VRPC install has got itself in a little bit of a mess. On a "modern" VirtualRPC you don't need the !VAShutDwn application.

As you are using RISC OS 4.02 then clicking on Shutdown in the Shutdown Confirmation window should close down RISC OS and then close the VirtualRPC. If this isn't happening then it's quite likely that some components haven't been upgraded using the upgrades on the main VirtualAcorn website - however it's difficult for me to go any further without a lot more info - so I suggest giving me a ring during ofice hours when you are in front of the computer.

Thanks for this; taking out VAShutdown doesn't solve the problem, and neither does unticking Shutdown Warnings in Boot.Config, as suggested by Adam. As far as I know I've done all the upgrades in the correct order, though I did the last three one after the other, having got a bit behind-hand.

Thanks for the offer of phone support, but I'm going to be busy the next couple of days. (Very time-consuming, this retirement lark. Definitely no time to go to work :-) )

I'll probably ring on Monday.

Peter.