www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot create primary surface error
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 pm 

I necessarily have one or more Windows command sessions running and have to keep checking the status of the things running within them. Unfortunately an Alt-Return puts it into full screen mode. Normally this would not be an issue but if VRPC is running there is high probability that when Alt-Return is used to bring the command window out of full screen mode, VRPC will throw a "Cannot create primary surface" error. As far as I can tell this is as good as fatal, reuiring a reboot of VRPC. It doesn't always happen. Sometimes the command window can be restored without VRPC hiccupping.

Due to the annoying way that Windows gives focus to various windows its not always obvious where keystrokes are going to end up and all too often I get this problem. I never ever want to use a command window in full screen mode and would love to disable the feature but I don't know if this can be done. Does anyone have any ideas?

Today, I set a number of network transfers going using ShareFS and noticed that when the "Cannot create primary surface" error came up the network activity continued, so RISC OS is running but its just that the screen display is dead.

Post subject: Re: Cannot create primary surface error
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Admin

It's possible that you are running out of memory on your graphics adapter. If it's an integrated version you could try increasing the amount of RAM allocated to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:26 pm 

Hi Mike,

This sounds similar to the problem described here: viewtopic.phpf=12&t=463

Adam

Last edited by adamr on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I suspect that it's a similar problem, but with a different cause. I would be interested to know if increasing the RAM allocated to the graphics adapter helps.