www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Corruption of Windows file names by HostFS passive viewing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:24 pm 

From time to time I have serious Windows problems that turn out to be the adding of ",fff" to file names that have only been viewed by VA. For example, Apache crashes on system reboot and then I find access.log has become "access.log,fff", and today I found CONFIG.SYS was CONFIG.SYS,fff. How can this be prevented?
I have stopped some files being corrupted by explicitly defining them in the extensions file but I cannot put entries in there for all the files likely to be encountered and in any case files with no windows extension can't be specified.
I could understand that files written by HostFS might have the filetype extension but for files that have only been read the alteration of Windows files is dangerous.

Post subject: Re: Corruption of Windows file names by HostFS passive viewing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Double check that any HostFS mount has the "Show Dos Extensions" tab ticked.

Post subject: Re: Corruption of Windows file names by HostFS passive viewing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:21 am 

I already have the "show dos extensions" set for all mounts. The problem is that for any files not defined in the extensions file the default file type is "text" so the ",fff" gets added. It would be better if, unless written by VRPC, the file type was "unknown" as far as RISC OS is concerned.
Loading a file into a RISC OS editor, or copying it, should not alter the file's name by adding the file type. I don't know if its related, but I've also noticed that sometimes the extensions.txt file gets locked and cannot be edited either by RISC OS or Windows editors.