www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Where is the Extensions file?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 am 

I need to add new extensions to the Extensions file (e.g. OvnPro) and have spent several days trying to find it by reading the User Manual, the VRPC In Use booklet, including the 12 Supplements from T.O.M.S. - all to no avail. Can someone please let me know where it might be found?

Also where is the 'Tools' menu which leads to the Extensions tab?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Where is the Extensions file?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:28 pm 

The default Extension file is on: http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/dloadpage/betautil.htm

To get at your existing Extensions file, put VirtualRPC in a window and click in turn on Tools -- Options -- Hostfs Extensions.

See the blether on p38 in the main VirtualRPC In Use Booklet; also p1 in Supplement 1, under the heading 'Windows -> RISC OS'.

HTH,

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:06 pm 

Alex. Many thanks for your reply but I have read everything you mention. The crucial missing bit is my second question: Where is the 'Tools' menu?

I am using a Mac laptop. (didn't mention that in previous email as I was posting to the VRPC for Mac list). Is 'Tools' something to do with MS Windows machines?

What I need is the exact location of the Extensions file on my Mac hard drive.

Thanks again

David Rooke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:42 pm 

David, as we don't use Macs here, the following is only a guesstimate. I was assuming there would be a filer 'Tools' button (or similar) on the top line of the VirtualRPC window.

However, if there isn't one (or if you particularly wish to do it via the underlying file on your Mac hard drive), again I'm guessing that the Extensions file will be in a similar place to its Windows equivalent, in which case it'll be something like C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxxSA\Plugins\HostFS2\extensions.txt

But please note this alternative method (as discussed on p38 in the VirtualRPC In Use booklet) is only something we spotted and use ourselves under Windows. I have no idea whether it will work or even be relevant to Macs, so it's very much At Your Own Risk!

If this isn't applicable to Macs, please can a Mac-user correct it?

(Apologies for the delay in replying. All messages from Melbourne [Oz] first go back in time to Melbourne [East Yorkshre, Blighty] and then it's by pony & trap the last few miles to and from our office in Pocklington...) ;-?

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am 

Alex

Thanks again for your reply. Reminds me of our use of a telephone pre-fix we use to call friends in the next street - it searches the world's phone-lines for cheap access and often ends up sending the call via China or other far-flung corners of the Earth!

No, the file structure on the Mac is completely different. I have spent hours digging around likely places and can't find Extensions. Hence my plea for help. It seems all the Mac users are on holiday at the moment.....

I'll try Aaron direct.

Regards

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:30 pm 

Doesn't Mac OS have a built-in 'FileFind' utility? If not, maybe a third-party app (e.g. http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/)?

HTH, Alex.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 pm 

VRPC's Preferences on the Mac are a subset of the Tools -> Options on Windows.

The Mac extensions file is easily found. CRTL click or right click or use the Finder window ???Action??? button on :-
Code:
/Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app

Select ???Show Package Contents??? and go to "hostfs.bundle" at :-
Code:
/Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app/Contents/PlugIns/hostfs.bundle

???Show Package Contents??? again, the extensions file is :-
Code:
/Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app/Contents/PlugIns/hostfs.bundle/Contents/Resources/extensions.txt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:36 pm 

Very many thanks. Very clear. Very helpful. I particularly liked your humorous preface "is easily found"! :)

David