www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Disc error 08
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:17 pm 

I have a horrible feeling that I must have done something stupid whe starting up VRPC. When I try to run it now, I get "Boot failed; Disc error 08 at :4/0000000000000006" (I think I counted those zeroes correctly), and the can't get to the desktop.

How do I correct this, please? I do have a backup copy of the app and all its bits; would it help to restore bits from this, and, if so, which bits?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Post subject: Re: Disc error 08
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:41 pm 

ISTR that if you drop a fresh copy of the following over the (possibly) corrupted file/folders in C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-SE - one at a time and trying to start up VirtualRPC each time - sooner or later it should come good:

a) The VA.cfg file
b) The Plugins folder (which contains HostFS)
c) The Models Folder

Hopefully a) and then possibly b) should fix it. But if you need to go as far as c), you'll then need to re-configure the RAM, changing the HardDisc4 name, adding extra devices, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:55 am 

T.O.M.S. wrote:
ISTR that if you drop a fresh copy of the following over the (possibly) corrupted file/folders in C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-SE - one at a time and trying to start up VirtualRPC each time - sooner or later it should come good:

a) The VA.cfg file
c) The Models Folder

Hopefully a) and then possibly b) should fix it. But if you need to go as far as c), you'll then need to re-configure the RAM, changing the HardDisc4 name, adding extra devices, etc.

Many thanks for this. I'll have a go at all this sometime later; today is going to be a bit busy

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm 

T.O.M.S. wrote:

a) The VA.cfg file
c) The Models Folder

b) worked beautifully, much to my relief! Many thanks to you. Now I'll have to try to remember what I did that was stupid, and not do it again!

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm 

If it was b), that will probably have overridden the HostFS Extensions file, so don't forget to make sure the extension for sprites is there. (ISTR it's missed off the default Extensions file.) Plus any others you've added.

If necessary, the info to add (under Windows or in VirtualRPC) is ff9 ... spr,sprite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 pm 

T.O.M.S. wrote:
If it was b), that will probably have overridden the HostFS Extensions file, so don't forget to make sure the extension for sprites is there. (ISTR it's missed off the default Extensions file.) Plus any others you've added.

If necessary, the info to add (under Windows or in VirtualRPC) is ff9 ... spr,sprite

Thanks for this, which I wouldn't have thought of! As it happens, this file seems to have emerged unscathed, with all the extensions that I'd added; it isn't given to some of us to understand some of these things :-)

I didn't actually have the Sprite extension in there, and don't seem to have missed this, but have added it just in case.

Many thanks again,

Peter.